Saturday, February 23, 2008

Overdid It a Bit

Some people I know (Karrie) have created a blog to keep track of their fitness progress and goals and they've been after me to do the same. So here it is.

I have never been much of an athlete (that would be an understatement). But one of my goals this year is to get in better shape. To that end, I have acquired an elliptical machine for my home and joined a gym. I have been going to BodyPump, a weight lifting class at least once a week and trying to spend some time on the elliptical machine every day or at least every other day. Some weeks are better than others.

On Monday, President's Day, I was struck down with the flu. It's been a
long time since I have been this sick, and I am completely wiped out. I missed one full day of work and two half days; this is a big deal for me, since I almost never call in sick. By now, I'm pretty much over the worst part of it, and I wake up in the morning feeling alright, but I'm just drained by late morning. And after a week on the couch, I am feeling pretty restless for some physical activity. So this morning I decided to go to BodyPump with Karrie. I thought I took it pretty easy, just using the lightest weights, taking lots of little breaks, drinking lots of water, and not pushing myself as hard as I usually do. And at the end of the class I was feeling okay, if a little tired. But twenty minutes later, I was as sick as I was on Monday, lying flat on the bathroom floor.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit that I overdid it like this. I really,
really should have known better. I've spent the afternoon on the couch again and I will probably stay there most of the day tomorrow. On the plus side, I am getting lots of knitting done.

This is Green Leaf, based on the pattern Rusted Root by Zephyr Style. The yarn is Adara from Elann.com, which I received from my parents as a birthday gift last year. My modifications can be found on my Ravelry project page here.

1 comment:

Karrie said...

YAY! I love that you started a workout (and knitting) blog. Thanks for all the support!! I hope that you are feeling better soon.