Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I Can't Think of a Good Title for This Post

This diet thing is even harder than I thought it would be! I've never been good at sticking to a plan; like I said before, I have very little will power and I'm easily swayed by other people to change my plans. For example, Sunday evening, when I got home, I planned to spend half an hour ellipticizing, then eat a small bowl of cereal and go to bed. But my new roommate's mother came by and brought a whole tin of homemade Runzas and another of apple crisp. Well, I couldn't be rude and not eat anything, right? (Although, no one forced me to take that second helping of apple crisp either...)

But I have been pretty good about exercising. Monday afternoon I went on a walk with my other roommate, almost two miles in a half an hour. That's pretty fast for me. And on our walk we found some tomato plant stands that were on someone's curb for trash pick-up. So we came back after the walk to snag those for our new garden, which we started yesterday! We are following the method outlined in Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza, in which you layer compost materials, peat moss, and mulch to build up good soil, rather than tilling the ground. We got three layers done yesterday; it was more of a workout than I thought it would be. We'll be growing tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, and cucumbers in the garden, and a patch of strawberries along the front walk. I'm so excited to have fresh produce this summer! All that gardening wore me out, but I made it to BodyPump last night and then Karrie and I stayed for a half an hour on the treadmill.

I have been better about limiting my pop intake, but I am still drinking way more than I planned. The problem is, I keep eating lunch out with friends, so I get a pop there and refill it before I leave. So I'm drinking maybe three times what I said I would, but it's still less than what I was drinking before.

On a little side note, I always listen to Matt and Shannon Mornings on KFRX, and Shannon now has a workout blog too! This blog thing is really catching on! And she goes to my gym too! Maybe I'll see her there. We should get her to come to BodyPump with us!

3 comments:

Karrie said...

It is hard to eat healthy. Especially at work -- please see my new post on "community food". I am getting pretty tired of watching what I eat. But you are doing a super-job of exercising. Hey, you should measure yourself, so even if you don't lose weight, you can see yourself changing.

deanne said...

Can I have any leftover produce you may produce???

Karrie said...

That Shannon doesn't update her workout blog often enough. She needs to look mine -- now there's a workout blog!!!