Sunday, March 2, 2008

What a difference a day makes...

There has been a definite correlation between the weather and my state of mind lately. Yesterday was a beautiful, warm, sunny day and the feeling that spring was just around the corner put me in a cheerful mood and gave me a kick of motivation. I met Karrie, Jennifer, and Brandy at BodyPump in the morning and had a great, challenging workout. Then I spent the afternoon in the sunshine, working on refinishing my new-to-me kitchen cabinets. The weather was so warm I was even able to wear my favorite sandals.

This morning started off promising as well. The sun was shining and I didn't even need a jacket when I went to church (I wore my sandals again, too). But by the time services were over, the sky had clouded over, the wind had picked up, and the temperature had dropped about fifteen degrees. And along with the temperature, my mood has plummeted. I am anxious again about all those things that constantly weigh on my mind lately, like money and family concerns. I feel restless and frustrated and at loose ends, and worst of all, I feel like things are never going to get better.

I have been trying to get stuff done today though. I'm baking bread, and I inventoried my grocery stock to come up with healthful meal ideas for this week. And I recycled a sweater, which means I unraveled the yarn so I can knit it up into something else. So this afternoon,

this:
$5 purple sweater from Old Navy

became this:
hanks washed and drying to be wound into balls later

I got the sweater on sale probably four years ago. It was a little small, but I always told myself, I'll lose weight and then it'll fit perfectly. Yeah, right. How many times have you told yourself that lie? As I was going through my closets a couple months ago, I realized that I could reclaim that yarn and turn it into something that actually fit me. The yarn is a nice purple tweed, 60% lambs wool, 40% nylon. I followed the instructions for sweater recycling detailed here. I'm hoping to have enough to make this Lush and Lacy Cardigan from SweaterBabe (the pictures on their website aren't that great, but there are lots of cute projects on Ravelry).

Hey, just talking about yarn and knitting has put me in a better mood. So has the smell of freshly baked bread wafting up the stairs from the kitchen. So, later 'gaters, I'm gonna go get a slice.

3 comments:

deanne said...

You are a domestic diva--refinishing cabinets, baking bread, and recycling yard. Ooh la la!!!!

Unknown said...

Man, all I did was sit around all day and start reading Atonement. You make me feel pretty lazy. But I had planned on cleaning out my car until the weather turned sour. I also can't wait for spring weather to be here for good, I'm so tired of cold, windy winter.

Karrie said...

I know things will get better for you soon. You know that working out boosts your seratonin (that's like a feel-good hormone). So perhaps the reason you are feeling crappy today isn't the weather at all, but the fact that you didn't make it to the gym!! Just a thought.